Friday, February 15, 2008

Handcrafted Waldorf Dolls Encourage Creativity And Imagination

By Monica Fraser

I had a conversation recently with a good friend about how we as parents approach the subject of learning and what effect a cultural emphasis on "skills" mastery has over encouraging imagination and creativity in our children. I was personally reminded again how easy it is to look for and expect the mastering of skills such as, "this goes here" or "put this there" and so on, and the value we place and thereby teach in achieving these tasks. Of coarse I absolutely know it's important to recognize achievement in all it's forms, though I question the importance we place on skills achievement specifically above creativity, imagination and the joy of "Being", especially in the first few years.

This conversation with my friend reminded both of us again that we need to value and affirm creativity as much as possible. Passion and creativity are soulful experiences that I believe need to be retained and encouraged. These experiences as a child are the attributes or "skills" that are needed to approach life with authenticity and originality. Reminding myself to step back and allow creativity to happen as my daughter sees it, and not as I expect is certainly a practice in awareness.

Of the toys I had as a child, the only one I've saved after all these years is my companion "Angel". I recently pulled her out of my childhood box so that I could wash her and set her aside for my daughter. Angel looked the same that day as I remembered some thirty years earlier, a Waldorf doll I received from my father.

Rather than toys with defined features and characteristics, giving the child set answers, Waldorf dolls allow the child to explore what it means to be human, allowing the child to imitate that which the child experiences in their life and the lives of those around them. Waldorf dolls are toys that encourage meaningful play, creative play that aids the child in their emotional, intellectual and physical development. Because of their simple design, a child that owns a Waldorf doll has the opportunity to imagine and personalize the doll in any way the imagination allows. Waldorf dolls grow with the child.

"The human ability to imagine should not be undervalued - it is the source of genius - and its roots are to be found in the creative play of early childhood. Within the freedom of true play adaptive intelligence is encouraged " Lynne Oldfield

Waldorf dolls are individually handcrafted and made to last a lifetime. Each doll is unique and made from natural fibers and created to look like a child. They are flexible and easily positioned, all features are embroidered simply so that the doll receives the personality that the child imagines.

If your interested, I've posted the links to a few of my favorite boutiques that specialize in Waldorf dolls. If you have bought Waldorf dolls from another artist that you love, feel free to leave a post about them on my blog. www.hipgreenmomma.com

I know you will love your Waldorf dolls as I did then and now as I hand "Angel" down to my daughter. Of coarse, I can hardly wait until she picks another one out for herself. But until then, I know that Angel will become whomever my daughter wishes.

Monica Fraser is the mother of a beautifully spirited daughter and the creator of http://www.hipgreenmomma.com an eco-fabulous blog and resource for Mom and Baby.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Monica_Fraser

No comments: